Friday, August 10, 2012

Broadcast Hot Shots Talks To Past And Present Nickelodeon Staff

From Broadcast:
Hot Shots alumni: one year on

Last year’s Broadcast Hot Shots talk to Robin Parker about the impact appearing in the supplement has had on their careers.

What does it mean to be a Broadcast Hot Shot? Each year, Broadcast selects around 50 rising stars from the industry, all under 30, and profiles them in a photoshoot that is waved under the noses of anyone who’s anyone at the Edinburgh TV Festival. As we gear up for this year’s special, we caught up with some of last year’s stars.

What’s clear is that Hot Shots is taken seriously by industry talent-spotters. Many of those we spoke to have been given more responsibility, promoted or poached by rival companies.

BETHAN BARKER

Then Assistant brand manager, Nickelodeon
Now Social media manager, The Mill

“Hot Shots had an absolutely giant impact on my career from the moment it hit the stands, one that I could never have predicted. My LinkedIn profile and inbox took a hammering from really interesting approaches and people, and a month later, I was promoted at Nickelodeon.

“I then began looking for a role that would let me focus more on social media, as that seemed to be what most people who contacted me were interested in. In June, I moved into a newly created role as social media manager at The Mill, working across the entire group.

“It really was the career boost and profile raiser that I needed at that stage in my career and it’s difficult to comprehend how far I’ve come just a year later.”

[...]

LUKE WHITE

Then Music editor, MTV UK
Now International digital programming executive, Viacom International Media Networks

“After Hot Shots was published, I moved from MTV UK to the Viacom International digital team in New York and now look after international download-to-own and video-on-demand programming for MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central.

“It’s fair to say that transferring international staff to positions in the UK is no easy process. Unique recognition such as Hot Shots plays an important role in the business justification.”

[...]

Hot Shots 2012

This year’s Broadcast Hot Shots will be unveiled in a special photo supplement in the 24 August issue.